Our Carbon Management Plan 2021-2026 [PDF, 1.5MB] sets out how we will reduce carbon emissions from our buildings, land, fleet vehicles and business travel to help us achieve objective 1 of our Climate Change Strategy.
In the strategy we set an ambitious target to reduce our direct carbon emissions to net zero by 2030. This includes emissions from our corporate buildings (including swimming pools, office buildings, car parks, sheltered housing schemes, community centres, arts venues and the crematorium), fleet vehicles (including vans, trucks and refuse vehicles), and business travel.
Our Carbon Management Plan sets out a range of projects to reduce our emissions:
- In January 2021 we secured £1.7m funding from the government for a major scheme to install heat pumps, additional solar PV panels and other energy efficiency measures at Parkside Pools and Abbey Pools. These measures will reduce carbon emissions from our swimming pools, which are the single biggest source of energy use on our estate, by more than 440 tonnes per year.
- We have committed to procure Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (ULEV) when replacing vans and trucks in our fleet (where there is a suitable ULEV alternative). This adds to the 12 electric vans introduced to the fleet so far.
- The Greater Cambridge Shared Waste Service will seek to replace all Refuse Collection Vehicles (RCVs) with low carbon alternatives (electric or hydrogen) at the point when they are due for replacement.
Greenhouse gas report
We publish an annual report detailing greenhouse gas emissions from our estate and operations.
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2022/23 [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2021/22 [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2020/21 [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2019/20 [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2018/19 [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2017/18 [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Greenhouse Gas Report 2016/17 [PDF, 0.3MB]